Project MUSE brings books in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences into libraries around the world with the expertise from 20+ years in online journals publishing.
Our mission is to support the scholarly publishing ecosystem by offering reasonably-priced content from non-profit publishers to libraries and returning sustaining revenue to the publishers. The Project MUSE Books Program was designed to help sustain university press and other nonprofit publishers. When a library purchases books from Project MUSE, the revenue that comes into the ecosystem stays in the ecosystem.
Project MUSE Knows the Library Market
Project MUSE’s offerings are based on ongoing market research and contact with the institutional market from around the world. The Project MUSE Books Program is designed to meet the needs of libraries by offering both Collection and Single Title Sales.
In addition to participating in MUSE Books, publishers can also publish open access books through the Project MUSE OA Books Program.
Features of Project MUSE Books Program
- Production services and technical expertise, support for library and publishing standards as they evolve, and constant attention to MUSE website design and functionality
- Continual monitoring for potential abuse at purchasing institutions
- Option to choose which books a publisher wishes to submit, and/or consult with MUSE to determine which of their books best fit with the collections
- Book usage statistics available in an interactive tool featuring graphics and downloadable reports with filters for article, issue, country, and institution
- Metadata accepted via ONIX feed or through an Excel template. MUSE works with all DAM vendors
- Partner with library vendors to ensure coverage in knowledge bases and discovery systems
- Promotion of publisher content and brands in conference materials, social media (organic and paid), and on the MUSE site. MUSE also collaborates with publishers on publicity initiatives
Consult our guidelines for submitting books to Project MUSE. To have your books included in Project MUSE, please complete the form Apply to Put Your Books on Project MUSE.